Please help with seeding an event using fixed lanes (a bug?)

I am hoping someone can offer some advice. Here's my situation:

I am trying to set up a tri meet. For the sprint races, each school is entitled to a at least two athletes in each of the first two heats (by league rule). I figure a good way to do this would be to assign fixed lanes to each school, and then seed by "Fixed Team Lanes (Fill Available Lanes)." I gave school A lanes 2 and 5, school B lanes 3 and 6, and school C lanes 4 and 7. Every time I try to do the seeding using "Fixed Team Lanes," it doesn't work and I get an error. Here are the specifics.

RaceTab 3.91
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5 (I think -- not really sure how I tell beyond looking at my installed programs)

Click on "Events" tab
Select an event (I'm using Varsity Mens 100 Meters)
Click "Seed" from the right hand toolbar
Use the following settings:
* Heat Assignment: Best Together
* Fill Heats: Balanced with Breakpoint 8 option
* Heat Order: Best to Worst
* Lane Assignment: By Fixed Team Lanes (Fill Available Lanes)
* 8 Lanes

After making the above selections, I click on "Seed Round." I get an "Unhandled exception" error dialog box that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." There is a Details box that spits out more text -- I am attaching that for reference. The end result is that none of the seeding "takes" at all.

If, instead of clicking on the "Seed Round" button I instead click on the "Auto-Pilot" button on the top, I get a similar error and the airplane countdown icon remains stuck on 5 forever.

Can anyone help? All the meets we host are of this format, and I am starting to get a little worried.

Views: 283

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update:

I've tried many things to try to diagnose this problem. I tried changing to a different .NET framework, but I still get the errors when I try to seed by fixed team lanes.

So, I uninstalled RaceTab, and then downloaded and installed RaceTab 3.90. Now, the seeding by fixed team lanes works as expected. Does this shed any light on to where the problem might be?

Please attach or email me your .rtab meet file and then I can reproduce and fix it.

Jason,
Thanks a lot for looking it to this for me. I am attaching the .rtab file with the meet I'm using as a "test" (thanks again, Don P!). The issue happens when I try to set up heats with the fixed lanes. I followed the steps I outlined in my original post.

Attachments:

Does anyone know if 3.93 fixes this issue? I am hesitant to update without knowing for sure.

I would have to test it to know for sure (don't have time to do that now), so I can't say. But what I can say is.... you should not be afarid to update and try with RaceTab. Because the nice thing is we make available links to the previous versions. And you don't even need to uninstall. If you have an issue, you can just rollback by installing a previous version right over it.

Did you ever get this figured out? I have to set up a meet with the same league rules.

No, I didn't. Last season, I used RaceTab 4.23. In that version, I no longer get the error messages or crashes when trying to see with assigned lanes, but I can't get it to do the behavior I want. We have an 8-lane track. According to how our league runs things in a tri-meet, each school is guaranteed two runners in the first heat. Using assigned lanes, this will leave two open lanes on our track in heat one. What I think should happen is that the next two fastest kids (one from school A, and one from school B) should be inserted into those lanes. However, in my experience, what RaceTab does is it only fills those open lanes after it's run all the way through all the heats (putting athletes in assigned lanes). I know I am not doing a very good job explaining myself... ... What happens is that I end up with a kid assigned to heat 2 who really should be taking one of the extra lanes in heat 1. Running the seed program and then trying to manually switch kids just doesn't work either because things quickly snowball.

Unfortunately, I have found it easier to go through and manually seed every single heat of every event. I do wish there was an easier method. I think my league is not typically, and so I understand why there's not a built-in feature to do this.

Jessica Schwarz said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I have to set up a meet with the same league rules.

Our league has the same rules. The official simply asks for the fastest athlete from school A, fastest athlete from school B, etc and the athletes are responsible for getting themselves in heats.

In the end, what I do at the meets is have a volunteer at the finish line to ask athletes for their name and the lane that they ran in.  They record heat and lane on the score sheet and then we use this to ensure times get assigned to the correct athletes when viewing video but it is a pain. :(

Wow, that's a lot of manual entry. We use FinishLynx with our FAT, so I feel that we have to have the clerk run the kids in assigned lanes.

Jessica Schwarz said:

Our league has the same rules. The official simply asks for the fastest athlete from school A, fastest athlete from school B, etc and the athletes are responsible for getting themselves in heats.

In the end, what I do at the meets is have a volunteer at the finish line to ask athletes for their name and the lane that they ran in.  They record heat and lane on the score sheet and then we use this to ensure times get assigned to the correct athletes when viewing video but it is a pain. :(

We also have the ClerkTab application that you can run over the network. In theory your clerk could assign lanes right from the start line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2kdnnxxT8Q

Do I need to be connected to the internet for the ClerkTab to work?

In the video it shows that you are connected to the internet, but you don't need to be. If you go into the webapps section and get that link, no. They just need to be on the same WiFi network as RaceTab, so they can access the RaceTab computer (which will act as the server) by ip address.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Facebook Page

© 2018   Created by Jason Byrne.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service