Meet management made simple.
I started working on the clerking app today and so I want to share what my plans are as far as the flow of the app and functionality. This will give you a chance to provide your ideas and feedback.
- Same as other app, provide ip and port
- I may not do this one.. might just skip to event list, but if there were other branches besides right to list of events... this could list them out
- List of each individual track event
- Bottom buttons to return to main menu (if there is a main menu) or "Next Event" which would just jump to the next event it thinks is due up
- List out Heat 1, Heat 2, Heat 3, Heat 4, Add Another Heat
- Add Another heat would create Heat 5 that would update Racetab and could be used immediately
- Click on a heat to drill in
- Lists out each lane on the track with any athletes entered filled in
- Touch on athlete brings up dialog to A) Clear this lane B) Select a different athlete
- If you choose select different athlete then it would present you with a list of all athletes entered into the event..... possibly additional options to search for a different athlete or maybe even add new athlete that is not in the database
- Choose an athlete from the list.... it will see if they are already entered in another heat/lane..... if not, it will replace the athlete into that lane..... if so, then it will first ask you to confirm... maybe with an option to swap lanes with the previous athlete in that lane
This was my vision of the Clerking App as well.. NICE!!!
I am not sure what it all means but I do know any app that will let someone clerk without papers on non-seeded meets would be a blessing! And it sounds as if you thought of everything. Wouldn't the event list pop up to what is already in the database? Sure common sense to all but...
Of course, I still would love to see the field event app. Never a quick way to type all those in when you get them all at once regardless of the times you request a flight at a tim, etc.
After reading the entire thread, also, about the PRO vs other.. I can only say I have worked with three other track programs. No. I am not a major timing company. I learned how to do them all during my 30 years of coaching!
Dan Epstein and I do time some in our area now but we just cover the stuff people may not be able to afford with larger companies.
I have no idea about all the ins and outs as for programming, etc., but I can attest to the fact RT is by far the most friendly to use and correct and learn for those who may not be computer literate per se... To make corrections 'on the fly' without having to go through so many windows in the middle of a meet in itself is amazing..
So, we will go PRO regardless of what parts we use. We will continue with our 'donation' as we did already.
I wish I understood more of what you all say in regards to programming, equipment, etc. but I know it is AMAZING this community will answer questions if you do not get something and will even take the time to email you individually to help. So, if people leave RT to something else, all I can say is they will not get the support. Been there, done that, etc.. Here? You get answers. Not to many places today you can actually say that..
I agree with the discussion you and I had earlier Jason that it should at the base be a check-in program. Clerk checks in athletes (or scratches them) and then can reseed them. I also think that it should then let me check them in and say you are in lane 5 of heat 3 or whatever as that is how check in usually works (subject to re-seeding). If they need to reseed they can do so.
Also at check in often they will say Athlete X has scratched from the remainder of the meet, so being able to pull up athlete x and scratch remainder would be a nice thing. Having said that I don't want to overly smart this thing and by doing so delay initial delivery! So KISS it baby. Get it rolling well and then we can go from there, hopefully without re-inventing.
Okay. I've got list of athletes in the event.... it shows their heat/lane also. You can click on them to mark them checked in... also "Check All" button at the bottom.
I am thinking I need a button for "Scratch Undeclared" or something to scratch anyone who did not check in.
Then ability to....
- Add new athlete
- Change heat/lane assignments
- Add new heat
- Remove empty heats
anything else necessary?
Add a heat ... in case you add more athletes than there are slots available.
I don't want to over-think this but, file this away somewhere: at some point if you can message the finish to reseed the entire event somehow that will be cool. I don't think this app should have "true or full" re-seed capability.
Maybe one day we'll build in a full chat backend between all apps and racetab haha
Right now...... I do have the means for three states (scratched, undeclared, checked in... and even thought of checked out).... but this moment scratched and undeclared have no effective difference. Does there need to be three states?
Not for me. Scratched means that they came and told you. Undeclared means that they were a no show I assume?
I do hope to eventually have the ability to click on an athlete and scratch them from the rest of the meet as that is very common, especially in lop-sided dual meets or bad weather, but also in case of injury, etc.
For relays will it have the ability to declare participants (maybe in round two or three?). At the moment getting this 80% featured, but fully functional is where I hope we are heading. It will be awesome.
Undeclared would mean they never showed up to the clerk to check in. Which, to me, seems identical (in the way we'd handle it) to scratching if we are handling it on the fly with this clerk app. If you don't show up, you get scratched and we bump your lane.
This is what i'm thinking....
- Athlete doesn't show up... remains "undeclared"
- Clerk clicks button that says "Scratch Undeclared" and all undeclared are removed from their lanes
- Clerk can manually adjust lanes and/or click button that says "Remove Empty" heats
I probably should have a "confirm" dialog with any of these buttons..?
Button to scratch all unchecked, confirm removing all unchecked runners from heats ... undeclared means nothing here.